The NDIS is designed to provide financial support for people living with significant or permanent disabilities (intellectual, physical, motor, sensory or psychosocial). This enables them to get access to disability support services in Victoria and other states. Some of the supports they can access include assistive technology, home modifications, personal care, therapy, and education and employment support.
However, the process can be overwhelming and confusing if you or your loved one are first-time NDIS participants. So, in today’s blog, we will discuss everything you need to know to avail of disability support services in Victoria and make the most of the available resources.
Before you can apply for disability support services in Victoria, you must fulfil the eligibility criteria as specified by the NDIS. The NDIS specifies that to be eligible, you must:
- Must be between 7 and 65 years at the time of application.
- Be a citizen of Australia, permanent resident, or hold a Protected Special Category Visa.
- Have a permanent or significant intellectual, sensory, motor, physical or psychosocial disability.
- Provide sufficient medical proof to show that receiving disability support services can help you perform your daily tasks with ease.
If you meet these eligibility requirements, you can begin the application process for the NDIS.
After checking your eligibility, the next step is to apply for the NDIS.
So, we have broken down the application process into the following simple steps for your convenience.
Step 1: Check Eligibility: Use the NDIS Access Checklist to check if you meet the eligibility requirements for the NDIS.
Step 2: Register: If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can then register for the NDIS. You can complete the process online, over the phone, or in person.
Step 3: Planning Meeting: Once the NDIS approves your registration, a planner will contact you to arrange a planning meeting with you. During this meeting, you will discuss your goals, needs, and the type of disability support services in Victoria you will need.
Step 4: Plan Approval: After the planning meeting, you will receive a plan for the supports and services you are eligible for. You can then review and agree to the plan before it is approved by the NDIS.
Step 5: Implementation: Once the NDIS approves your plan, you can start accessing the disability support services in Victoria outlined in your plan.
Now after receiving an approved plan from the NDIS, it’s important to find the right disability service provider to suit your needs. Here are some tips to help you find the right services:
- Speak to your planner: Your NDIS planner can provide you with a list of disability service providers in your area and help you understand which services will best suit your needs.
- Research online: You can also use online directories and forums to research NDIS providers in Melbourne or the surrounding suburbs.
- Ask for recommendations: Reach out to friends and other family members who may have used disability support services and ask for their recommendations.
- Attend information sessions: You can also attend information sessions hosted by NDIS providers in Melbourne to learn more about their services and what they can offer you.
Once you have identified the support service providers you would like to work with, you can get in touch with them and discuss your goals and how they can support you in achieving them.
When accessing disability support services, it is important that you work collaboratively with your NDIS provider in Melbourne to achieve your goals.
So, here we share some tips so you can make the most of your disability support services. Continue reading to learn more:
- Be clear about your goals and needs: Communicate clearly with your service providers about your goals, needs, and expectations. This can help your NDIS provider develop a support plan that best suits your needs.
- Be open to new experiences: Disability support services in Victoria can provide you with opportunities to try new experiences and develop new skills.
- Continuously assess your progress: The best way to make the most out of your NDIS plan is to constantly assess it with your disability support service provider in Victoria. You can schedule regular appointments with your provider to assess your progress and how you can alter your support plan accordingly.
- Provide feedback: If you are not satisfied with the services you are receiving, provide constructive feedback to your service providers so they can improve their services.
Navigating disability support services in Victoria can be overwhelming. However, with the right information and support, you can access the services you need to achieve your goals.
But if you need a recommendation, you should check out Horizon Access Care. They are a registered NDIS provider offering personalised disability support services. They work with a team of highly trained, qualified and experienced professionals to provide exceptional participant-focused support services.
Connect with the experts at Horizon Access Care to discuss the support services you need and how they can help you with their support services.